Shelly is a small business-woman and understands balancing a budget and prioritizing spending decisions. She has served on the School Board since 2012. Shelly is running because she believes in Newport News and wants to make sure that government invests in our students, our environment and our workers.
How Close is this Race?
In the last election, Hillary won this district by 5% (49.2% to 44.3%). Republican incumbent David Yancey won this district in 2015 by 2,138 votes. In 2013, he won by only 543 votes! He pretends to be a moderate independent but votes the conservative party line. With full Democratic support, we are going to turn this district blue in 2017 with Shelly Simonds.
November 2016 Presidential Race
2013 House of Delegates Race
Why this Race Matters most:
This race is critical for Democrats to win to help break Republican control of crucial decisions in Virginia. With an electorate leaning Democratic, this race has a chance of having a Democrat elected, if Democrats show up to the polls.
Why Democrat Shelly Simonds?
- Shelly believes that expanding Medicaid, long blocked, will provide access to better health care for hundreds of thousands of Virginians, while cutting costs and increasing jobs.
- Shelly wants to get students ready for a high-tech economy, attract good teachers and increase teachers’ pay.
- Shelly believes having employees proficient in STEM will attract advanced manufacturing companies to the district.
Why NOT Republican Incumbent David Yancey?
- In 2016, Yancey voted for legislation to prevent Virginia cities from raising the minimum wage.
- In 2012, Yancey supported the now-rescinded mandate that women seeking an abortion must first have a painful and invasive vaginal ultrasound test.
- In 2012, Yancey supported requiring law enforcement officers ask about immigration status when making an arrest.
Side by Side on Key Policy Issues:
|Democrat Position||Republican Position|
|Health Care — Medicaid Expansion
|Virginia must expand Medicaid to help thousands who are being left behind.||Yancey voted against Medicaid expansion. State must guard budget against Medicaid costs; piecemeal improvements OK.|
|State Financial Support for Planned Parenthood||Simonds supports Planned Parenthood and its critical healthcare services for low income families.||In 2016, Yancey voted to defund PP. In 2017, Yancey was one of 5 Republicans to abstain from a bill to defund PP. Recent flipflopper to appeal to independent voters.|
|Jobs and Education||Simonds wants to attract high-tech companies by having qualified employees. She wants students to be proficient in STEM subjects.||Deregulation will solve small business problems.|